Monday, February 09, 2015

Cthulhu, East Burnside

The next mural on our tour is the big Cthulhu mural in a gated alley next to the Sizzle Pie pizza place on E. Burnside. This is by Bay Area artist Skinner, who describes his style as

Influenced by 80’s pop culture, human struggle, myths and violence, dungeons and dragons and the heavy metal gods, Skinner’s mind is one of psycho social mayhem fueled by a calculated chaos.

This is the part where I have to admit I walked right past the Cthulhu mural a few times without noticing, even after I'd started in on this mural project. I even had lunch at Sizzle Pie at least once while I was looking for some other mural nearby, not realizing there was a giant Cthulhu on the side of the building I was in. I'm going to blame this one on the eldritch emanations of the Great Old Ones combined with the building's non-Euclidean geometry, instead of my uneven powers of observation for a change.

Anyway, I'm kind of pleased we have a Cthulhu. What would be really great is if had an enormous life-size Cthulhu statue, rising out of the river if possible, but the mural's a good start. Anyway, here's a nice inspirational video from the internet:

No comments :