Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Sword & Sorcery (stopgap edition)


I don't recall if I've actually promised to do a really thorough post about the many joys of 80's sword & sorcery movies, but I meant to promise to do that. And if I had promised, and you'd been waiting all this time, today would almost, but not quite, be your lucky day.

I say almost, because this post is not the end-all-be-all post I may or may not have promised. I'll get around to that sooner or later. Instead, for the time being, here's a fun and amusing grab-bag of other people's S&S movie reviews I've run across, some of which include stills and/or movie poster art (such as it is). I should note in passing that S&S movie art traditionally bears no resemblance to anything in the actual movie. For instance, the Deathstalker poster shown here (which links to a movie review in Hungarian, if you're up for that) pictures a large troll-like creature, although nothing like it appears anywhere in the film.

Other than Deathstalker II and Barbarian, I haven't actually seen these movies (yet, anyway). Some aren't out on DVD. Others are, but Netflix doesn't have 'em. So it's not for lack of trying. That's basically what I'm trying to say here.


  • Deathstalker II. As I've noted before, D2 is the absolute cream of the crop so far as S&S movies go. The DVD audio commentary by the director and a couple of the stars is priceless.
  • Deathstalker III, which I haven't seen. Of the four films in the Deathstalker saga (five, if you count the much later Barbarian), this is the only one that isn't out on DVD. And I don't own a VHS player anymore. It's a crime against humanity, I tell ya.
  • Dungeons and Dragons
  • Warrior Queen
  • Several movies including The Conquest. I see that Netflix has just gotten itself a copy of The Conquest, so if it's up to snuff I may say a few words about it in the near future. Updated: I've seen it, and my review is here.
  • Quest for the Mighty Sword (ator)
  • Quest of the Delta Knights
  • Sorceress, the 1982 film by that name, not the 1995 Julie Strain vehicle by the same name, which I haven't seen either. Incidentally, the latter is not an S&S movie, but it was directed by the same guy who did Deathstalker II many years earlier.
  • Princess Warrior.


And let's do some silly Technorati Tags just for the hell of it. I'm curious to see if anybody shows up here because of these.

No comments :