Monday, June 04, 2007

driver's seat

Some pics of "The Driver's Seat", a large sculpture on the (once and future) transit mall, at NW 5th & Irving. This is a 1994 piece by Don Merkt, added during the transit mall extension. Apparently it's going to be moved across the street in the near future due to the new MAX line, but that shouldn't disrupt matters too drastically.


View Larger Map

I don't have a definitive reference for this, but I'd imagine Driver's Seat is an allusion to the TriMet bus lot next door, sort of. It would stand to reason, at any rate.

ds12

Oddly enough, I didn't actually sit in the driver's seat pictured here. I'm not sure why not. Maybe it's that this is Art with a capital A, and it's intimidating like that. I don't have a degree in art, and I don't have a doctorate in anything, so I'm not sure I'm qualified to sit in the driver's seat.

Also, for some reason this reminds me of a scene in Alien, where the crew comes across a highly deceased creature that got all chest-bursty while operating a huge sci-fi ray gun.

So, you know, no sense in tempting fate.

ds2

ds3

ds4

ds5

ds6

ds7

ds8

ds9

ds10

ds11

No comments :