Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Ding, Dong, Falwell's dead

That's one less fundie nutjob out there. Good riddance.

I don't want to hear any of the usual "A Nation United in Mourning" crap from the media about today's blessed event. So here are some fun Falwell links, just so we're all crystal clear on what kind of person he was:


There's a GOP presidential debate this evening, and the candidates are scrambling over each other to heap praise on Falwell. No big surprise there. And Pat Robertson offers his public condolences as well. At least we've still got ol' Pat to kick around.

Oh, and here's a rich one, a post whining that "Liberal Blogs Spew Hate on Jerry Falwell Death". To which I can only say, hell yeah. What goes around, comes around, after all.

Meanwhile, here among the living, the US Attorney thing gets even uglier. Everyone keeps saying Gonzo's job is doomed, for real this time, definitely, but the Glorious Leader continues to stand by him, just like he's standing by Wolfie. At this point it seems every single personnel issue is the Alamo all over again, so far as the White House is concerned. And like I said before, that's fine with me. I'd rather they stayed around in their current jobs, scorned by all and sundry. I'd like to see Dubya and the R's in Congress keep going to the mat to defend these clowns, further tarnishing their own reputations in the process. It pains me to say this, but a USDOJ that's effectively paralyzed until 2009 is the best outcome we can reasonably hope for so long as Bush rules the roost. It's not a good outcome, by any means, but all the other possibilities are even worse. A new AG with a functioning staff would mean a fresh assault on basic civil liberties, whereas Gonzo & Co. aren't in a position to do much more in that direction right now.

Updated: A short bit ago, I got an abusive comment from some anonymous visitor, calling me all sorts of names because I won't pretend Falwell's demise is some kind of horrible national tragedy. Sure, I could say all that stuff purely for the sake of politeness. I could be all sanctimonious and say I'm taking the high road, and pretend to mourn the death of someone who would've welcomed mine. But I've always believed honesty is the best policy. We're all better off without the guy. If that offends you, tough. Send flowers to the funeral if it makes you feel any better.

(And in case you're wondering, yes, I do delete personally abusive comments. Them's always been the house rules around these parts. If you can't handle that, if you think I'm being unfair somehow, feel free to go get your own blog and swear at me and yell and scream all you want over there, for all I care. Getting a blog is incredibly easy these days. It's so easy even a fundie can do it.)

No comments :