Saturday, May 30, 2015

Wheel Series I

The next installment in our ongoing public art tour takes us back to Vancouver WA's little municipal sculpture garden, at E. 9th & Broadway. This collection focuses heavily on Portland-area artists circa 1960-1980, and we've already looked at their Manuel Izquierdo and James Lee Hansen sculptures. Today's installment is about Don Wilson's Wheel Series I. Wilson was/is an art professor at Portland State, and he also created Holon on the South Park Blocks, and the massive Interlocking Forms along Portland's downtown transit mall. Both of those date to the late 1970s (although the date situation with Holon is complicated, for reasons I don't understand). I'm pretty sure the "1998" on the sign here is when Wheel Series I was donated, not when it was created. If I had to guess, I'd say this dates to the late 70s as well. Family resemblance and all that.

No comments :