Saturday, March 08, 2014

Tree

When I visited the Foster Botanical Garden in downtown Honolulu, I noticed a small-ish abstract sculpture next to the garden's parking lot. I was there to take photos of trees, mostly, and this happened to be called Tree, so I snapped a couple of quick phone photos before heading in. The city arts office's page has a rather matter-of-fact description of it:

A Sculpture by Charles Watson. A square plate metal base supports a vertical trunk with rebar branches to which are attached cast forms. The sculpture is widest at the center, tapering at top and bottom. A square concrete pedestal accompanies the sculpture. Located at Foster Botanical Garden.
Tree

One thing I should point out is that this is a bit less abstract than it looks. As a Pacific Northwest native, I saw it and unconsciously assumed it was a purely abstract work, because real trees don't look like this. After wandering around the botanical garden I realized Tree sort of evoked some of the garden's more exotic tropical trees. (Go look at my slideshow in the botanical garden post if you don't believe me.) This is still an abstract sculpture, obviously, but it makes sense here in a way it wouldn't if you picked it up and moved it to New York or Portland or somewhere else.

Tree

No comments :