Wednesday, September 22, 2010

elephants, oregon zoo

elephants, oregon zoo

A few photos of elephants at the Oregon Zoo. I really wasn't trying for a melancholy effect here, but it's hard to see bars and not anthropomorphize a little.

elephants, oregon zoo

I'm also going to spare you my handwringing about elephants in zoos, although longtime readers might remember I reluctantly voted against the zoo's most recent bond measure for that reason. I'll just pass along articles at Scientific American and Time, and the 2008 study they're reporting on, "Compromised Survivorship in Zoo Elephants", originally published in Science.

elephants, oregon zoo
elephants, oregon zoo

elephants, oregon zoo

elephants, oregon zoo

elephants, oregon zoo

elephants, oregon zoo

elephants, oregon zoo

elephants, oregon zoo

No comments :