Monday, November 10, 2008

Abernethy Bridge


View Larger Map

Couple of photos of the Abernethy Bridge, the rather nondescript bridge that carries I-205 over the Willamette, down in Oregon City. I took these from the much more photogenic Oregon City Bridge, just upstream.

Abernethy Bridge

There isn't much to say about the Abernethy Bridge. I'm not about to try walking over it, whether it's technically legal or not. There isn't anything particularly distinctive, historical, or beautiful about it. It does have a Structurae page, if you're really interested. PortlandBridges has some photos of it here. And here's a photo from river level. Plus a few more photos, taken underneath the bridge, on somebody's MySpace page. Oh, and the bridge shows up in a poem, which is either about nuclear war, or uses nuclear war as a metaphor for something else, I'm not 100% sure which.

A recent "Tourism Action Plan" for West Linn says simply "Abernethy Bridge viewed as detriment". It doesn't go on to explain why it's a detriment; it just says it is, and moves on. Maybe they figured it went without saying. I dunno.

So why bother posting this? Mostly I just figured I needed a post about the Abernethy for the sake of completeness, vis a vis my ongoing bridge series. So here it is. Yay.


Abernethy Bridge

Abernethy Bridge

No comments :