Sunday, October 21, 2012

Organ Pipe Cactus, Arizona

Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument
View Larger Map

Some photos from Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, in a remote corner of southern Arizona. The landscape isn't as dramatic as some other parts of the state, but the monument -- along with the adjacent and even more remote Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge -- protects a big chunk of intact Sonoran Desert ecosystem, including the monument's namesake cactus. So this may be more of a place for close up and macro photos than for broad desert vistas. It's kind of a moot point since I had neither the inclination or the gear to do that back then. Which is a shame, in retrospect; the resulting photos might have given a clearer sense of why I felt this was a high point of the trip.

Looking over these photos, it also occurs to me that I don't have any really good examples of the aforementioned organ pipe cactus. I'm not totally surprised by that; as a native of the Pacific Northwest, all cactuses pretty much look alike to me. I can tell conifers apart, and I can tell you all sorts of boring facts about them if called upon (which is rare). Cactuses, not so much. Same goes for palm trees, come to think of it.

Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument

No comments :