Saturday, October 03, 2009

Milestone P5


View Larger Map

Today's fun adventure leads us behind a dumpster a few blocks off 82nd on SE Stark St. Hey, wait, come back, dammit -- don't you care about history!? Seriously, the little obelisk you see here with the "P5" on it is another of the Stark Street Milestones. I covered Milestone P2 wayyy back in November 2006, and I've finally gotten around to tracking down a few others. Well, in truth someone else did all the heavy lifting with the research and tracking down and such (which I'm slightly envious about, truth be told), and I'm just showing up afterwards to take a few photos and make pointless snarky remarks, as is my way.

I stopped here right after failing to find P4, and shortly before failing to find P6. I did manage to find P7 at least, but that's a matter for another post.

Milestone P5

So unlike P2, which is embedded in a wall next to a historic cemetery, P5 stands next to an auto upholstery shop at the corner of 78th & Stark, with a variety of junk arrayed around it. Some people might get up in arms about this and argue that historical monuments should be treated more reverentially. I actually think it's fine this way though; the stone's survived the Oregon climate and who knows what kind of abuse for 150 years, and it's not going to be harmed by an old tire or a piece of cardboard lying next to it. And most importantly, it makes for more interesting photos this way.

Milestone P5

I should point out that the photos kind of give the wrong idea, as the surrounding Montavilla neighborhood is rather cute actually. Just across 78th, behind where I stood when I took these photos, is the Flying Pie pizzeria and adjacent Art Deco-ish Academy Theater, featuring the classic Portland combo of pizza, beer, and movies. Mmmm.... beeeeer....

No comments :