Saturday, November 01, 2014

Nu'uanu Stream, Downtown Honolulu


[View Larger Map]

I haven't done any Hawaii photos for a while, so here's a slideshow of Oahu's Nu'uanu Stream as it flows through downtown Honolulu along the edge of Chinatown. It flows down from the leeward side of the Nu'uanu Pali area, but it's very much an urban waterway by the time it gets here; it flows through a straight, stone-lined channel, and suffers from wastewater pollution, invasive fish species, and it's also the site of occasional drownings.

There are also a lot of bridges over the stream, but you'll be surprised to know I wasn't really paying attention to bridges at the time, so I don't have a lot of photos of them specifically. I'm not sure why not; possibly because they aren't very big and most of them aren't very interesting. Well, that and the fact that I was in Hawaii and had better things to do with my time than stare at bridges. It turns out there isn't a lot of info about them available anyway; there's an UglyBridges page for the Interstate H1 bridge over the stream, which you can see in a couple of the photos. Other photos (including the first one in the set) show the little footbridge over the stream near the Chinatown Cultural Plaza. It's pretty photogenic but doesn't seem to be very old. I can't seem to locate any information about it -- why it was built, or exactly when, or anything -- which I'm sure means I just don't know where to look. If I had to guess I'd guess it dates to the 70s, and was part of some sort of urban renewal scheme.

Meanwhile, on the right edge of the first photo you can sort of see the large, abstract T'Sung sculpture. From this standpoint (i.e. from the Beretania St. bridge, looking upstream), the Jose Rizal statue is off to the left, and the Sun Yat Sen statue is off to the right. Some of the trees in the distance straight ahead are part of the Foster Botanical Garden. I highly recommend the garden, although you really have to slow down and take your time to properly appreciate it.

No comments :