Friday, October 12, 2007

an unusual sunrise, fwiw

Or, Additional Adventures in the Blogo-Doldrums.

I happened to be up at dawn the other day, something I usually go to great lengths to avoid. The sunrise looked a little odd, so I took a few photos, and here they are. Are sunrises always like this? I ask, because I don't see them very often, and when I do, generally the caffeine hasn't kicked in yet. I'm curious now, but not quite curious enough to get up early on a regular basis, so I was hoping maybe someone out there on the interwebs knows. And then I can just say I'm sure it's true, because I saw it on the interwebs. Or something.

I also took a few photos with the "antique" film SLR I bought recently. But you won't see those photos here because I managed to ruin my second roll of film in a row. Last time I just didn't know how to thread the film into the sprockets properly so it didn't advance. The second time, I forgot it was 24 exposures, not 36, and tried to advance the film anyway, and it broke clean off. I blame both mini-calamities on bad habits I picked up with my last film camera, an 80's era fixed-focus point-n-shoot. It's not a great camera, by any means, but it did protect you from shooting yourself in the foot, which is something, I guess.

I did manage to get a third roll exposed and rewound without incident, and it's at the photo shop as I write this. I'm curious how it turned out, and I suppose a bit nervous too. I really shouldn't be nervous, since M42 SLR gear is extremely inexpensive these days. I'm having the pics put on a CD too (a medium only slightly less obsolete than film itself, if you ask me) so if they don't completely suck I'll post a few when I get 'em back. I might post a few even if they do suck, just for kicks.

I figured I'd post the sunrise pics anyway, since I'm kind of short on material at the moment. I do have one batch of mini-roadtrip photos I still haven't posted from way back in June, and I've seen a few bad movies recently, so I might write about those. But overall things are in something of a rut right now, both blogwise and otherwise. I'm not sure what sort of action is called for, however. Maybe we'll move overseas for a while or something. That would certainly shake things up a bit. This humble blog might even become interesting again, if I'm lucky.

Anyway, about that sunrise: It started out innocently enough...

Unusual Sunrise

Unusual Sunrise

Unusual Sunrise

Unusual Sunrise

Unusual Sunrise

Unusual Sunrise

As the sun came up a bit more, it got weird:

Unusual Sunrise

Unusual Sunrise

Unusual Sunrise

Unusual Sunrise

Unusual Sunrise

At the time, I was sort of thinking these might be mammatus clouds, but they weren't quite that dramatic, and we didn't get any severe weather afterwards. Unless you think 50 degrees and drizzly is severe. Which I sometimes do, if we get it day after day for weeks on end.

Unusual Sunrise

Unusual Sunrise

Unusual Sunrise

Things eventually tapered off...

Unusual Sunrise

Unusual Sunrise


... and ending in a perfectly unremarkable October weekday. Sigh....

No comments :