Friday, April 20, 2007

Baby Animal Photos... Awwwwww....

Baby Seal - Lincoln City, OR

A baby seal on the beach in Lincoln City. I wasn't really very close to the seal, I should point out. That would be highly illegal, and also wouldn't be very nice to the seal. So this is just the camera on maximum digital zoom.

I'm no expert on baby seals, but I think this is probably a harbor seal and not one of the coast's omnipresent California sea lions. Sea lions are like giant rats with flippers, basically, although they're still federally protected.

gosling 1

gosling2

Goslings on the Eastbank Esplanade, in downtown Portland, earlier today. Maximum zoom again, because getting attacked by large, protective Canada geese is not my idea of a good time. Also, they're legally protected migratory waterfowl, and pestering them isn't nice to the goslings.

Although they're protected and all that, Canada geese are basically rats with wings and long necks and really bad attitudes. But they're cute at this age. Actually baby rats can be cute too, come to think of it, but I don't have any pics of those.

otter

A sea otter at the aquarium in Newport. For the purpose of this post I'm declaring it an honorary baby animal, because I wanted to use the photo. Actual sea otter pups are even cuter.

puffin

Ah, and a juvenile tufted puffin, also at the aquarium.



Updated 12/20/10: Here's the original text from the top of this post. On further reflection, I think it's better to just lead with the baby seal.

It's come to my attention that this blog's readership numbers are in the tank, and so I'm forced to resort to drastic measures: Yes, not just cute animal photos, but cute (mostly) baby animal photos. Just try not to visit now. Just try.

Updated 1/8/08: In recent months, this page has gotten about the most hits of any post I've ever done here, primarily Google Image hits for the next photo. Ironic, dontcha think?

No comments :