Monday, August 19, 2013

Split Ring

Today's local public art object is Clement Meadmore's Split Ring, at SW 10th & Jefferson on the grounds of the Portland Art Museum. This may be my favorite sculpture in the whole city. I realize monumental abstract stuff isn't everyone's cup of tea, and it's not exactly the fashionable thing these days, and there are certainly a lot of abstract public artworks I don't care for. But Split Ring just seems right somehow. Maybe it has something to do with the museum, rather than the city, buying it. It's possible the museum curators have better taste (you'd hope so), and don't feel the same pressure to buy locally.

Back in college, I used to wait for the bus home at the old 10th & Jefferson TriMet stop, which was right next to Split Ring. I never got tired of looking at it. I was about to say there's something clean and mathematical about it, and then discivered there was a post about it (and a few other Meadmore works) at Ivars Peterson's excellent Mathematical Tourist blog. So it's not just me. I guess that's the key point here.

Split Ring

Like a lot of modern sculptures, this is one of a small series of identical pieces. I'm not sure how many exist total, but here are a few sightings I came across on the interwebs:

Split Ring Split Ring Split Ring Split Ring Split Ring Split Ring

No comments :