Monday, September 12, 2011

Moulton Falls

Moulton Falls

The next stop on our tour of Lewis River waterfalls is Moulton Falls, about 4.5 miles upstream of Lucia Falls. Moulton Falls is in Clark County's Moulton Falls Park, and like Lucia Falls, it's a short, easy walk from the parking lot right off of Lucia Falls Road. Rather than include another Google map this time, here's a photo of the official park map:

Moulton Falls

Moulton Falls is the one on the left on this map. The map shows another waterfall just upstream (to the right), but it was more of a ripple, a rapid at most, and I didn't bother taking any photos of it. The waterfall on Big Tree Creek is Yacolt Falls, which is really the park's main event if you ask me. We'll get to that one in a subsequent post.

Moulton Falls

The "no touching the river" rules apply here too, just so you know. I don't find these rules particularly onerous, I have to say; when I go somewhere like this, generally I'm lugging a camera around. So going in the river and getting wet is pretty much the very last thing I want to do. Ok, meeting up with a cougar would be worse, as would a Deliverance-style run in with hostile locals (which could be a serious possibility, if the belligerent Tea Party-type political signs I kept seeing along the road are any indication). But getting the camera wet would be right up there behind those.

Moulton Falls

Moulton Falls

Moulton Falls

Moulton Falls

Moulton Falls

Moulton Falls

Moulton Falls

Moulton Falls

No comments :