Monday, February 25, 2008

OMG Springtime (almost)

flowers 2/25/08

So I wandered away from the office around lunch, as I often do, and I saw the very last thing I expected. Flowers. Real, live flowers. Blooming. Right here in Portland, of all places. Seriously. I swear I'm not making this up.

flowers 2/25/08

And it's about damn time. I was really starting to wonder if we'd ever see spring again, or if it was just going to be nothing but bare trees and endless drizzly gloom from here on out. I mean, logically that's a silly notion, of course, but under the circumstances I still couldn't help but wonder. There certainly weren't any signs of spring when we headed off to vacation in cold, rainy California, so this must've all happened while we were away. It's almost as if we'd triggered it somehow. So the gradual changing of the seasons is probably my doing, at least in part. Or at least I like to think so.

flowers 2/25/08

Now here's the counterintuitive part. Out of curiosity, I tracked down last year's semi-obligatory "OMG Springtime" post, and it sure looks like we're only lagging a week or so behind last year, foliage-wise. I wouldn't have expected that. Go figure. At least my photos are a lot better this year. So that's something, I guess.

flowers 2/25/08

This springtime business still seems too good to be true. I expect we'll probably have a late freeze that takes out anything that dared to bloom, followed by another six months of cold, dreary rain and wind. It just stands to reason. And that's if we're lucky. If we're really unlucky we'll get a nice nuclear winter or something, and then the rain will be the least of our worries.

Feh.

Well, in any case, enjoy the flowers while they last. If you'd like to see the full set from today, I've got 'em on Flickr here.

No comments :