Monday, January 19, 2009

Winter, Powell Butte

Winter, Powell Butte

Winter, Powell Butte


View Larger Map


I wandered out to Powell Butte a couple of weeks ago, during the post-Ultra-Snowpocalypse thaw. I had the day off, so I thought it might be fun to go out and wander around the place and maybe take a few photos, as is my way. I used to go there a lot, years ago, for the mountain bike trails, but it'd been a very long time since I'd gone. As I walked around, I got to thinking and realized it'd been close to 15 years. That (plus a recent birthday) kind of got me down. The cold, windy, bleak landscape didn't help a lot either. When you're 23 or so, it's only natural to feel like an insignificant part of a pointless universe. It can even feel kind of artistic and sophisticated, and you can get a lot of mileage out of wandering around this sort of landscape, brooding, wearing black if possible. It's like walking through an indie rock album cover. Any photos you take just might end up as your next album cover. Add another 15 years or so, and feeling pointless and insignificant is no longer quite so much fun.

I quickly realized I would've been happier if I'd done something completely different that day.

Winter, Powell Butte

But enough about me. At least I got some photos out of the excursion, and some of them even turned out ok, I think, maybe.

Powell Butte used to be one of my favorite spots in the city. I'm not sure it still is, but there certainly isn't anything like it in the area. There are quite a few other volcanic hills around town, mostly around the eastside -- Mt. Tabor, Rocky Butte, Kelly Butte, etc., and Mount Sylvania and maybe a couple of others on the westside. The whole thing's a city park, the second largest in town after Forest Park. Or more precisely, there's a middling-sized park here surrounded by a vast chunk of land owned by the Water Bureau. Somewhere around here there's a vast underground water reservoir, and much of Powell Butte is reserved for future expansion. Above ground, most of the park is kind of an open, gently rolling grassland, very much unlike the densely forested other buttes around town. Nice place to walk around, or bike, or even ride your horse, assuming you have a horse, which I don't. It's maybe not as dramatic and photogenic as some other places around town, though. You might've noticed how many of these photos incude wide swaths of sky, full of low, fast, black clouds. I really tried to be inspired by all that vast brown grass, but I just wasn't feeling it for some reason. Beats me.

Winter, Powell Butte

More about Powell Butte, from all across the intertubes:
  • Wikipedia
  • Portland Water Bureau
  • everything2
  • Friends Of Powell Butte
  • The city's Powell Butte Project mostly focuses on potential fire hazards here.
  • US Geological Survey. They say Powell Butte is a cinder cone, versus most of the other mini-volcanic bits around town which are "lava domes". A lava dome is where the earth sort of expands into a big festering zit, without actually exploding. With a cinder cone, it's all-out Clearasil time. It's funny, though, Powell Butte seems to have a much gentler landscape than the mere lava domes around town. If anything, the open grassland parts remind me a little, just a little, of the slopes of one of the big shield volcanoes on the Big Island of Hawaii. Except obviously much smaller, and with less desirable weather.
  • A recent post at Neig
  • hborhoodNotes about new trail construction on Powell Butte.
  • Portland Ground (with better photos than mine, as usual)
  • John Rakestraw has more photos, again far superior to my humble offerings. Photos of Mt. Hood, birds, and even a coyote. I don't have any of those here, I'm afraid.
Winter, Powell Butte

Winter, Powell Butte

Winter, Powell Butte

Winter, Powell Butte

Winter, Powell Butte

Winter, Powell Butte

Winter, Powell Butte

Winter, Powell Butte

Winter, Powell Butte

Winter, Powell Butte

Winter, Powell Butte

Winter, Powell Butte

Winter, Powell Butte

No comments :