Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Of beer & novocaine

Spent all morning in one stressful meeting after another, while attempting to fix a bug or two between meetings. And then I spent all afternoon at the dentist. Oh, and I paid taxes today too. I got the full combo today, basically. So now I'm at Tugboat, trying to figure out how to drink beer with a numb upper lip. You get the hang of it eventually. This will come in handy in the future, as I'll be seeing a lot of my dentist going forward.

On the bright side, I can still *taste* the beer, and I'm not dribbling all that much of it, really. And now I can smile again without being all self-conscious about it. So even with the meetings and the taxes and the numbness and the stress -- and the crappy weather for that matter -- despite all of that, it's a beautiful day.

Perhaps you'd like to hear my funny novocaine story, while I'm at it. Back when I was 12 or so, I was having work done in preparation for getting braces a couple of years later on. Had to have a couple of teeth pulled to make room for the others, which required a lot of novocaine. For some reason, we went to the library right after that. So I was sitting in an aisle, reading a book, not noticing what a pitiful drool creature I was. I realized I wasn't alone. I looked up and noticed a mother and child staring at me. Mom to child: "He can't help it, some people are just born that way." Offended, I tried to explain that I'd just been to the dentist, and had never ridden a single short bus in my entire life, and in fact I was in the middle of a fascinating book on astrophysics (seriously) when I was so rudely interrupted, etc. Which came out as "uuugh glurrrgh (drool) mwwghh".

They fled.

So all things considered, my immediate "drinking problem" is really not so bad.

Mmmwghhh.... beeeerrr....




Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

No comments :