Friday, July 07, 2006

non-friday eclectica

Everyone knows that Serious A-list Bloggers do something whimsical on Fridays. I figure I ought to come up with something similar to the "Friday Cepahalopod" deal over at Pharyngula, but I haven't settled on anything just yet. Perhaps the ever-fruitless search for a Friday gimmick will be my Friday gimmick. Yeah. That sounds like a real pile-o-fun.

Ok, so I started this post back on Friday, but I only came up with a couple of random items, nowhere near enough for a proper eclectic grabbag post. It's not really "eclectic" unless you've scraped up a minimum of 6 or 7 items. If you've only got two or three, it's just pathetic, not eclectic. And going with 6 or 7 items is like going with the minimum 19 pieces of flair. It's the bare minimum, and that just won't do. It seems unenthusiastic. But I'm also working on a self-imposed deadline here. I'm planning to go check out the big Reservoir 3 opening gala up in Washington Park, and I'd like to get this POS out the door before I go. So here ya go, here's your seven items. Don't blame me -- I just work here. Like, whatEVER....


(Also, between Friday and today I went to a wedding, watched the World Cup final and a couple Tour de France stages, watched another really terrible movie, and made a rare visit to a suburban shopping mall, but I'm not going to post about any of those things at the moment. I started this post before any of those events, so I'd better get this thing out of the way first, or I'll be violating the spacetime continuum, and my grandparents won't be born, or something, possibly. I think I read something about that happening once, somewhere.)


  • Two photos of an adorable echidna moseying around the Outback.
  • Also on Flickr, the infamous Zinedine Zidane headbutt from yesterday's World Cup final, immortalized in Legos. Legos rock.
  • GREASECOPTER!!!! Yarrr!!!!
  • Creationists are freakin' insane.
  • Read this article about why the Busheviks have botched things so badly. Choice quote:

    Contemporary conservatism is a walking contradiction. Unable to shrink government but unwilling to improve it, conservatives attempt to split the difference, expanding government for political gain, but always in ways that validate their disregard for the very thing they are expanding. The end result is not just bigger government, but more incompetent government.

  • More on the unlamented-by-me demise of Microsoft's WinFS.
  • Satirical art is not dead after all. Check out the "Yellow Car Project", which pokes fun at our fair city's legions of bike fascists. Of course, as a bunch of pretentious, humorless twits, they naturally didn't get the joke at first.

No comments :