Friday, July 03, 2015

Velo Cult mural

The ongoing mural tour takes us back to the Hollywood District, where this large mural graces the back of the Velo Cult bike shop, facing NE 41st, north of Hancock. This is a fairly recent mural, painted in summer 2014 by Andy Phillips. And yes, the store does serve beer, and sometimes has live music at night. This may sound like a gag from a certain Portland-based IFC show (which Shall Not Be Named), but it's a thing that exists within Portland city limits. I kind of hope the 'burbs never find out about this combo, though, because they'll turn it into Jagermeister shots at the local BMW dealer, featuring a Nickelback cover band.

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Albany! I'm fairly new to your blog, and I'm wondering what the first post is for your current mural tour ... I've looked for it, but can't seem to track it down. Thanks for letting me know! Brian.

brx0 said...

I sort of blundered into this mural project about a year ago, with a post about the Buckman Community Mural on SE Belmont. I'd done a handful of previous posts circa 2010-2012 while insisting it wasn't going to be an ongoing effort. At the time I was more focused on public art around Portland and I specifically said -- swore up and down, even -- that I wasn't doing murals, mostly because there were just too many of them. Eventually I ran low on other public art to write about and decided to change my no-mural policy at that point. It's been a fun and interesting project so far. I imagine I'll switch projects again at some point, but right now I have no idea what the next project might be.