Tuesday, January 06, 2015

Ken Gephart Rose

The next Weston rose on the agenda is the Ken Gephart Rose, on the Willamette Park Plaza building, at SW Macadam & Nebraska. This is right next to Willamette Park and sort of across the street from the McMenamins Fulton Pub, the ancestral home of Nebraska Bitter (which is named after the street). I'm telling you all of this because I'm not sure who this one's named for. I found a few 1980s news articles (like this 1981 Popular Science article, and this Christian Science Monitor piece) mentioning a Portland-area architect or designer with the right name, but I don't know if it's the same guy or not.

1 comment :

Felicia said...

I believe very strongly that this is my grandpas rose. On my way home from McMenamins today, I saw it there and remembered when my mom had took my brothers and I downtown when we were kids to look for his rose. His full name was Kenneth Edward Gephart and he passed away on May 11, 2002; it's such a crazy but wonderful coincident that I found his mural before the anniversary of his passing and for Mother's Day. He was an architect born and raised from Portland, OR and designed a lot of buildings from homes in Portland to the old skating rink in Sunriver. He lived in the house be designed in 1955 (I have old pictures) in Beaverton/Tigard area with his wife and three daughters, the youngest one being my mom. I wrote this to you because you mentioned you didn't know who he was, but those articles you found describe my grandpa and I think it's safe to say this is his mural. Thank you for sharing!