Thursday, May 29, 2008

Free Beer @ Vera Katz Park

dedication, vera katz park

So I was just at the grand opening for Vera Katz Park. If you hurry, there's still free beer until 7. And even better, the politicians and dignitaries are done talking now. I think.

Just for fun, show up looking homeless (or even better, be homeless) and see if they'll give you your free beer or not.

Top photo: The evening's musical entertainment, plus some guy with a video camera.

But that's not what you care about. Here's the line for beer:

dedication, vera katz park


Here's the tribal invocation courtesy of the Confederated Tribes of Grande Ronde -- you know, the Spirit Mountain folks. They donated to the theater, dontcha know. The color guard is an interesting touch. Curious how the only way you'll get a flag at a Portland event is if one of the local tribes brings one. I dunno, that just sort of screams "historical irony", if you ask me.

The POW-MIA flag is an additional interesting touch.


dedication, vera katz park


Our new mayor. Who I voted against, as it so happens:

dedication, vera katz park


A flower, plus my souvenir beer mug. I told you I was going for the free beer, didn't I?

dedication, vera katz park


The developer behind the Brewery Blocks, whose name adorns the theater next door. Lots of talk from him and others about visionary plans and so forth. I get the distinct impression that a visionary plan is one that makes you a lot of money.

dedication, vera katz park


Spectators:

dedication, vera katz park


One of the theater execs, whose name I didn't catch. There were at least two guys from the theater, and both spent a lot of time talking about their capital campaign, fundraising, important donors, and so forth. Straight out of central casting, if you'll forgive the expression. Seriously, I kept thinking about Slings and Arrows the whole time when either one was talking.

dedication, vera katz park


Oh, and the guest of honor, Vera herself. Who I actually have a soft spot for, despite my usual tendency to rant about the Pearl and all the shiny-trinkets-for-the-idle-rich schemes emanating from city hall.

dedication, vera katz park

No comments :