Thursday, January 10, 2008

waterfront rainstorm

waterfront rainstorm

So here are a few pics from Waterfront Park, taken right in the middle of Tuesday's horrendous, drenching rain. Unless you read this blog regularly, you might be wondering why I'd do a stupid thing like that. Actually I had several reasons. None of them are especially good reasons, but hey.

  • I happened to have my (non-)trusty Holga along that day, and it even had black & white film in it. So it seemed like ideal subject matter.
  • Hey, it's a Holga, it's not like it would rust if it got a little wet, or the precision optics would get messed up somehow.
  • I've never actually had a proper case of pneumonia, and therefore haven't yet learned not to do this.
  • I had another roll of 120 plus a roll of 35mm I wanted to get developed that day, so I figured I'd use up the rest of the current roll and do all 3 at once, to be thrifty or frugal or something.
  • I wasn't sure any part of the roll would turn out, anyway. I'd forgotten to tape up the Holga this time, and a couple of days earlier I had the back pop right off. Which I understand happens to everyone sooner or later, so it's sort of a Holga rite of passage. I wasn't sure if any part of the roll was still good, so I figured this wasn't a roll to keep around for special occasions and precious moments and whatnot. Might as well use it up and see what's salvageable. In the end I think I only lost about whole two photos, plus half of the next one. If you look closely, you can see part of the word "KODAK" that somehow ended up on the film.
  • I've been a bit short on blog material lately, and I figured if I got some really grim, wintry photos, I'd get a post out of it, at least. That, or pneumonia.
  • I've spent a lot of time lately whining about the lack of proper photo subject matter. So I got to thinking, if it's going to be all wet and wintry and bleak for months anyway, regardless of how I feel about it, I might as well give in and just wallow in it for a while. Not literally, of course. That just leads to hypothermia, not creative fulfillment. Unlike pneumonia, I have had hypothermia before, and I'm not wild about a repeat.
  • I was also feeling kind of surly and unmotivated and undervalued that day, and only partly because of the hangover. That's one thing I've had before and haven't yet learned to avoid 100% of the time. That, and trying peculiar food after a few drinks. This time it was sushi filled with sea urchin innards. The previous time there were deep-fried pickles, if I recall correctly.
  • I honestly didn't have a better idea. I seriously couldn't think of anything else to do just then. Photo-wise, I mean.
waterfront rainstorm

The aforementioned half-a-photo.

waterfront rainstorm

waterfront rainstorm

waterfront rainstorm

waterfront rainstorm

waterfront rainstorm

waterfront rainstorm

No comments :