Wednesday, December 19, 2007

winter trees

winter trees, northwest portland

More winter trees, for your grim, gothic, wintry 'enjoyment'. Ok, technically they're the same trees as last time around, but I used different cameras, so it's not precisely the same thing. Or not.

winter trees, northwest portland

The trees are next to one of the streetcar stops on Lovejoy up in NW Portland. I don't remember which one, but it's whichever one is closest to the Lucky Lab brewpub. After a couple of beers, taking lots of photos of bare trees seems like a fantastic idea.

winter trees, northwest portland

The even-numbered pix were taken with a Pentax Spotmatic SP, circa 1964-66, with a Super Takumar 50/1.4. The odd ones were taken with a Mamiya 1000 DTL, circa 1967, with an Auto Sekor 55/1.8. They're both nice cameras, picked up at local antique stores for a pittance. Any failings you see in the photos are my fault. Or the fault of the el-cheapo drug store ASA 200 film. Or the one-hour-photo hut....


winter trees, northwest portland

Or the weather itself, for that matter. I'd like to take this opportunity to register a formal complaint about the weather. I'd much rather post photos of flowers, or waterfalls, or colorful ethnic festivals, or basically anything besides grim winter weather. But that's what we've got at the moment, so here we are. I suppose I could still do, I dunno, food, or something, but the weather's giving me a creative block. All I see right now is bare trees and rain, everywhere, as far as the eye can see. It's not depressing, exactly, merely frustrating. I mean, these pics were taken with color film, believe it or not. The curving limbs and branches are cool and all, but the lack of color is seriously cramping my style.


winter trees, northwest portland

winter trees, northwest portland

No comments :