Monday, October 29, 2007

tourist telescope digiscoping

beacon rock

So this is what it looks like when you put a quarter in a tourist telescope and hold your digicam up to the eyepiece. These are from the Vista House out in the Gorge. Top one's Beacon Rock, and the other shows some cliffs on the Oregon side of the river.

Doing this isn't a terribly original idea. Here's a post where someone else did it, with (IMHO) better results.

The technical term for this is "digiscoping". I've tried it before with a telescope I have at home, with very little success. I finally broke down the other day and ordered a T-mount adapter so I can hook a "real" camera up to the thing, just in time for the rainy (i.e. starless) season. Impeccable timing is maybe not my thing, I suppose.

gorge cliff

1 comment :

phoneskope said...

These pics are stunning! Wonderful job! Looking forward to seeing more great photos from this setup.

iPhone Scope Mount