Wednesday, September 05, 2007

a new toy, and beer

Tugboat IPA

A few pics, mostly of beer, taken with a cheap wide angle converter I picked up at Fry's the other day. The thing's supposed to fit onto the front of your camera via a little adhesive-backed magnetic ring that sticks on around the lens. I haven't attached the ring yet, since I think I need to file it down in a couple spots so it doesn't block any light in the corners of the frame. So for now I'm just holding the adapter up to the lens with one hand, taking the photo with the other. Results so far are mixed, but interesting. I could probably get rid of the vignetting (the dark rounded-off corners) by zooming in a little, at the expense of some of that wide-angley goodness. On the other hand, the vignetted look's been kind of trendy of late. I don't know if it's due to the Holga craze or what, but you see it around quite a bit.

The main reason I got this new thingy is because the last couple of times I was out in the Columbia Gorge, there were times where it just wasn't possible to get the picture I wanted to take. I just couldn't fit everything into the frame, and taking a few steps back would've meant falling off a high cliff. Suffering for art is fine and all, but one has to draw the line somewhere, and I have a firm, longstanding anti-plummeting policy.

A $30 adapter is obviously no match for a "real" camera with a dedicated wide angle lens on it. Gentle Reader(s) of this humble blog might've noticed I've been doing a bit of handwringing about digital SLRs lately, and there's a reason for that. I keep going back and forth on whether I ought to get one, a process that's devolved into endless handwringing. My usual policy on gadget upgrades of any kind is that you only do it when you've hit the wall with your existing gear, and there are things you simply can't do to your satisfaction. Not because you think swanky new widgetry will be the magic dust that makes you "better" at whatever it is you're doing, without you having to practice or study or anything. It might, but finding out can get expensive, and to me it just feels like cheating somehow. I'm not entirely immune to the lure of bright shiny objects, but I try to stay on guard; like most traditionally male-dominated hobbies, you can pretty much pour all your spare disposable income into cameras if you choose to, as if there was no law of diminishing returns. And then, quite often, go around being a pompous know-it-all jerk about it, making sure everyone knows exactly how much you spent, and how much your new status symbols enhance your manliness. Possibly you can tell that kind of behavior doesn't overly impress me. I try to ask myself, "Would you still buy it if you couldn't tell anyone about it?" I think the answer's yes in this case, and I think I'm running up against the outer limits of what my little point-n-shoot can do. But that still hasn't convinced me to open my wallet just yet. I mean, there's always a new and improved model just around the corner, so it's quite easy to sit back and wait and see.

My other issue with DSLRs, besides spending money, is the sheer size of the things. I realize sensor size is important and everything, but smallness is a virtue as well. I think what I'd really like to see would be a point-and-shoot sized camera that takes C-mount interchangeable lenses, like those you find on 16mm movie cameras, security cameras, machine vision systems, and some microscopes. As far as I can tell, though, there's no such thing on the market. I've been doing a little research to see if it'd be practical to homebrew something instead, ideally a modular arrangement where you could swap out sensors as well as lenses. You wouldn't have to replace the whole camera every time a better sensor hits the market, and you could swap out the usual sensor for a monochrome one, say, or even a thermal imaging sensor if you can afford it. Even if you could only swap the lenses out, there's a huge range of C-mount lenses out there, including unusual beasties like telecentric, anamorphic, and f-theta lenses, among other things.

So far I haven't found any cameras that quite fit the bill (ignoring for right now the option of adapting an existing digicam.) 16mm cameras aren't digital, and aren't exactly handheld size. Security cameras usually don't have enough resolution to be interesting, and often just output analog NTSC, or at best the digital equivalent. You'd think customers would want a camera that could also take high-res stills as needed, but that doesn't seem to have happened yet. Microscope and industrial cameras are expensive, low volume items, and both they and security cams need to be tethered to an external computer and power source, which defeats the point if you're aiming for smallness. You might be able to get around that with something like a UMPC, or Nokia's N800, or a PDA that supports USB host mode if you can find one. Then you'd need to write or adapt some software to get your chosen gadget talking to the camera. Once you've sorted that out, you're in business. It might not be any smaller, or lighter, or less expensive, or higher performance, but if it's sheer homebrew hack value you're looking for, this could be a fun project. I'm still researching right now, so I'll let you know if this ever amounts to anything.

Tugboat IPA

About the beer: This is a nice tasty glass of the IPA down at Tugboat, the Official Center of the Universe. I always seem to end up in a brewpub whenever I get a new toy. It's not an official policy of mine, but somehow it always seems to work out that way. ( Like this, for example.)

Tugboat IPA

I think I mentioned the photos were only mostly of beer. Here are a couple of the Burnside Bridge from Waterfront Park, just to illustrate the effect of the wide angle converter. First photo is without, second is with, taken from the same spot, all other conditions the same.

Burnside Bridge

Burnside Bridge

No comments :