Friday, October 06, 2006

it's photo phriday again...

...in other words, no massive link dump today, I'm afraid. I'd gotten to about 3 Firefox windows full of maybe a dozen tabs each, full of all sorts of scintillating, quirky bits-o-the-web, when Firefox suddenly died on me. Splut. This probably had something to do with the latest Mars photos from MRO, which clearly show the tiny rover Opportunity on the edge of a huge crater. And not just the rover; you can actually see the rover's shadow in the picture, if you squint a little. The full size JPG of the crater runs around 16MB(!), and even that's a small excerpt of a much larger 100MB JPG image. Dang...

(One scintillating, quirky bit did survive in an email, at least. Here is the Nietzsche Family Circus, which pairs random Family Circus cartoons with random Nietzsche quotes. It sounds weird, but it's really funny. Ok, to me. I could sit there and hit refresh for hours, but maybe I'm weird that way.)

I'm also not real keen on doing another Foley post just now, and not posting anything at all isn't really an option, so instead here are a few more recent(ish) photos from around downtown Portland:

nonosmoking

A defaced "No Smoking" sign at a bus shelter on SW 1st, downtown.

glisan_hand

glisan_hand2

Two pics of the mysterious hand sculpture in a parking lot at NW 5th & Glisan. I really like the wadded-up pair of jeans wedged between the pinkie and ring finger.

vines

Grapevines at the tiny catholic church on 5th near PSU.

wildflower_near_psu

Some late-season wildflowers, also near PSU.

no

A cutesy, yet bossy sign ordering dog owners not to allow their pets to do any business next to this tree. This tree sits outside someone's ritzy townhouse in the Pearl, if you hadn't guessed that already.

I especially like the bit with the bike cable around the sign to prevent anyone from stealing it.

1 comment :

LeLo said...

I can't wait until the next time I'm walking Wink and we come across this no-shit dog. I'm so totally taking a photo. WTF?!