Tuesday, September 05, 2006

File | Edit | Play | HELP!

FileEditPlayHelp

This is what happens when animated billboards malfunction, at least when there's a Windows box behind the scenes. Niiiiice. In fairness, it looks like a third-party app has gone south here, not Windows itself, and I suppose this could happen on a Linux box just as easily -- although I've never actually seen that in real life.

To the naked eye, the billboard was just a solid pink-white color, not the odd pixelated pattern you see here. You can't see the Windows menus very well, but I kind of like it this way. It's weird, and funky.

Once I saw a Westside MAX ticket vending system on the blink, which revealed that the systems are coded in VB and run on Windows 3.1. Blech!

But the best example I ever saw was on a local cable access channel years ago. Seems their community bulletin board thingy ran on an Amiga, and I know this because the box had crashed, and the channel displayed the flashing red "Guru Meditation" screen for a couple of days before someone got around to fixing it. That must've really confused the heck out of all the non-geeks out there.

No comments :