Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Welcome, Visitor No. 1000(ish)


After a mere 4 months, this lil' blog's hit a whopping 1000 visitors. Roughly speaking. Anyone who has sm3.sitemeter.com redirected in their hosts file or whose browser doesn't load images won't be counted (a category that also includes search engine bots). Populating your hosts file to block unwanted sites is actually a really smart idea. It's not the end-all and be-all of security, by any means, but it does get rid of a lot of banner ads. Also, I didn't have that hit counter set up for about the first week or so, so I've got no record at all of my very earliest visitors. Oh, well. The number's probably correct to within an order of magnitude or two, anyway. So an enthusiastic "huzzah!" may be in order.

I'd like to thank the academy, and all the little people who made this possible (you know who you are). Oh, and my agent, if I had one. I'd just like to say that this humble blog's come a long way since the early days, although that's not really true as far as I can tell. I'd also like to express my sincerest hopes for an ever-brighter and more wondrous future for this thing. Really, it's probably just going to be more of the same, day in and day out. OTOH it's been four long months so far, and I haven't gotten bored with blogging yet, which I think has got to be some kind of personal record for me.

I probably ought to give out some sort of prize to the 1000th visitor, but I don't have any bright ideas about what it ought to be, plus I'm too cheap to actually do it. Talking about it is absolutely free, though, so long as you don't try to put a dollar figure on the amount of time wasted, both mine and yours. I think I'll go with a line from an obscure 80's radio commercial (don't ask me why I've remembered it), and say in a really bad French accent, "You ween a zmall, but beauuuutiful potato!". I don't actually have a potato handy (too cheap, remember?), so in lieu of that here's a link to Global Potato News. Seriously. And there's more news than you might expect.

If the winner doesn't like potatoes, perhaps he or she would prefer a neutral Bs meson. They do exist, according to that PhysicsWeb article, though I'm not sure whether I personally own any or not. They're awfully small, see, and they move kind of quickly, plus they don't hang around very long before decaying. So maybe they aren't really a great gift item, come to think of it.

And now I've completely run out of ideas for prizes. That didn't take long.

Anyway, the picture up top is of a giant grouper, taken by NOAA researchers near the island of Agrihan in the Northern Marianas. Yes, the obscure US territory you might have heard of in connection with that Abramoff guy. It all comes back to politics sooner or later, I'm afraid.

No comments :