Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Cyclotram has a ring to it.

I picked the name after my first 15 or so choices were already taken or otherwise unavailable. But now I think I like it. Did I mention that "Xusia" was already taken, too? I guess using the name of a monster from a cheesy 80's sword-and-sorcery movie is just too... obvious. Or something.

But enough meta-discussion. Out in the non-meta world, I've been using an Itanium Linux box for nearly an hour now, porting over an x86 app, and SCO hasn't sued me yet. So I guess that counts as a good day, so far. I have some todo items dealing with Windows weirdnesses, so I'm not confident it'll stay a good day for long.

I won't go on an extended rant about 64-bit Windows for the time being, but feast your eyes on what MSDN has to say about registry redirection and filesystem redirection. What a freakin' nightmare. Who designed that stuff, and how quickly were they fired?

Since these days I have to assume the Glorious Leader is reading this, or (more likely) Uncle Dick is reading it to him, I'd like to take this opportunity to nominate Microsoft's entire "WOW64" team for the next clandestine rendition flight.

No comments :